Saturday, 30 April 2016
logo
Up-to-the-minute perspectives on defence, security and peace
issues from and for policy makers and opinion leaders.
        



dv-header
     |      View our Twitter page at twitter.com/defenceredbox     |     

inmemoriam

Obituaries in The Times of London and elsewhere

Captain George Hunt RN  DSO and Bar, DSC and Bar 4 July 1916 - 16 August 2011
On of the most succesful and highly decorated submarine commanders, also Mentioned in Despatches

Sqn Ldr John Canning DFC 28 January 1920 - 6 June 2011

Pathfinder navigator on raids against ports, cities, V2 sites, Dresden. Later dropped food into The Netherlands

Lt Col "Joe" Cetre, MC and Bar30 July 1916 - 1 July 2011

Son of French and German immigrants, decorated after Dunkirk and the post-Battle of the Bulge campaign

Flying Officer Geoffrey Fisken DFC 17 February 1916 - 12 June 2011
New Zealander who shot down 7 Japanese deefnding Singapore. Totalled 11 combat victories, one probable, in Pacific

Brigadier David Stileman OBE 9 April 1924 - 24 June 2011
In Normandy on Operation Goodwood; Kenya and Malaya.

Add comment


Security code
Refresh

Latest from icasualties.org

  • Reuters- U.S. military punishes 16 over 2015 Afghan hospital bombing
    The U.S. military will announce on Friday that has it taken disciplinary action against 16 service members over a deadly Oct. 3 air strike in Afghanistan that destroyed a hospital run by the international medical charity Medecins Sans Frontieres, U.S. officials tell Reuters. The disclosure of the non-judicial punishments will come during the release of the findings of a U.S. military investigation into the incident, which will broadly conclude that the strike was a tragic mistake, the officials said, speaking on condition of anonymity.
  • KP- Policeman kills his 3 comrades in latest insider attack in Laghman
    At least 3 policemen lost their lives in the latest insider attack carried out by one of their comrades in eastern Laghman province of Afghanistan. According to the local security officials, the incident took place late on Wednesday night in a security post in Mehtarlam city.
  • KP- 6 militants killed, 60 arrested in Afghan commandos night raid in Kunduz
    At least 6 militants were killed during a night raid conducted by the Afghan commandos in northern Kunduz province of Afghanistan. The Ministry of Defense (MoD) said at least 60 suspected militants were also arrested during the operation.
  • AAP - Father of Australian aid worker abducted in Afghanistan makes emotional plea for her return
    Brian Wilson, 91, is extremely worried for his daughter, named by ABC as 60-year-old Katherine, also known as Kerry, Jane Wilson. "Do your level best, come back safe and sound," he said in a video posted on Twitter. Ms Wilson was reportedly kidnapped by armed men on Thursday at an office in the eastern city of Jalalabad in Afghanistan.
  • AP- Afghan prosecutor shot dead in western Herat province
    An Afghan official says the chief prosecutor for Herat province has been shot and killed by unknown gunmen in western Afghanistan. Ghulam Jilani Farhad, a spokesman for the provincial governor, says Samiuddin Raheein was killed close to his home in the city of Herat. He says gunmen opened fire on the chief prosecutor from a car, and then Raheein was shot seven times.
  • WaPo- An attack rocked Kabul last week. And a former Bagram detainee may have played a key role.
    Even in a city that sometimes barely blinks when explosions go off, residents are still shaken over an attack last week that killed 64 people and wounded about 350. The assault involved a suicide bomber striking at the gates of a compound housing an intelligence training office, followed up by a three-hour gun battle. The force of the suicide blast radiated for miles, shattering windows, knocking down doors and terrifying residents throughout central Kabul.
  • IBTimes- Taliban plot to bomb Kunduz goes awry killing 8 militants
    Eight Taliban suicide bombers were killed when one of their bombs blew up prematurely, triggering other devices as well, in Nahar Kohna village, in the north Afghanistan province of Kunduz. The ministry of interior said local Taliban commander Mullah Waliwas was preparing a series of suicide bombings in Kunduz city, one of the more populated areas of the province.
  • KP- Militant identified as Hamdard Hasib planning attack in Kabul city
    The United States Forces in Afghanistan (USFOR-A) released identities of possible attackers planning attacks in Kabul and other provinces. “Insurgents from the Haqqani and Taliban networks are known to be planning attacks on the Afghan people in the Parwan, Khost, Kabul, and Logar Provinces, Afghanistan,” a statement by United States Forces in Afghanistan said.
  • KP- 33 militants killed in air and ground operations of Afghan forces
    At least 33 militants were killed in air and ground operations of the Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF) in the past 24 hours. The Ministry of Defense (MoD) said at least 29 militants were also wounded during the operations which were conducted in Faryab, Herat, Baghlan, Helmand, and Maidan Wardak provinces.
  • ToloNews- 9 Insurgents Killed in Kunduz Operation
    At least 9 Taliban insurgents were killed and another was injured in an ongoing military operation in northern Kunduz province, local officials said on Wednesday. The operation launched on Tuesday night in Chahardara district of the province to clear the area of insurgents, officials said.

British military casualties - Editorial policy

In the service of our country.

Eulogies for all personnel killed on UK operations in Afghanistan, Iraq and elsewhere are posted as soon as they have been released by the UK Ministry of Defence. Each eulogy we publish for men down in operations brings a lump to the throat. We are losing the best of the best. Politicians must ensure that, when the newspaper cuttings have faded, their sacrifice has had some meaning, has helped bring about a good result. Anything else would be a waste for which they will be eternally condemned.

There is invariably at least a 24 hour gap between the official release of news of an event and the naming of the dead. This is to allow families to be informed and proper eulogoies to be produced. Occasionally families request no euologies or comment. We abide by guidance we receive on such sensitive matters. We regret that information on those who sacrifice almost as much through grave injury is seldom released by the MoD for operational reasons, and so we are unable to pay tribute.

 

Cookies
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the Defence Viewpoints website. However, if you would like to, you can modify your browser so that it notifies you when cookies are sent to it or you can refuse cookies altogether. You can also delete cookies that have already been set. You may wish to visit www.aboutcookies.org which contains comprehensive information on how to do this on a wide variety of desktop browsers. Please note that you will lose some features and functionality on this website if you choose to disable cookies. For example, you may not be able to link into our Twitter feed, which gives up to the minute perspectives on defence and security matters.