Friday, 06 March 2015
logo
Up-to-the-minute perspectives on defence, security and peace
issues from and for policy makers and opinion leaders.
        



dv-header
     |      View our Twitter page at twitter.com/defenceredbox     |     

inmemoriam

Remembrance can take many forms. 

This is the true story of an eight year-old girl in the south of England during the Battle of Britain. She saw an RAF fighter pilot in his parachute being machine-gunned by a Messerschmitt 109 as he drifted towards the earth over Ashford in Kent. She felt that that had been a terrible price he had had to pay for protecting her. Many years later, Jean Liddicoat, as she had become, was a grandmother living in Staplehurst. Her grandson questions her about the Battle of Britain, which he is studying in school. She answers him, and he says to her that in the cemetery next door is the grave of an unknown airman which has been left neglected and forgotten. She goes to see it and, sure enough, on the headstone are the words,

"An airman of the 1939-1945 War ... Known unto God".

Jean tidies up the grave and makes it look beautiful. Then she starts making inquiries. After eight years of investigating, she discovered that on5 September 1940, during the Battle of Britain, eight RAF pilots were killed, but only six were identified. She therefore knew that the unknown airman must be one of two men. She also discovered that he had in his possession at the moment that the Spitfire plunged into the ground a half-hunter silver pocket watch. Its mechanism had stopped at the moment of impact. What was more, the unknown airman's sister, Margaret, who was approaching 92 years of age, had come forward and identified the watch as being exactly the same as the one given to her brother.

Jean Liddicoat now knew who the airman was, and she found out as much as she could about him. His name was Freddie Rushmer, and he was a flight commander of a squadron which had more confirmed victories in the Battle of Britain than any other in both the RAF and the Royal Auxiliary Air Force. On the day on which he did not return from his mission, there was absolutely no time to go searching for a fallen comrade in the war being waged for Britain's very existence.

Freddie Rushmer had never had a funeral service, so one was arranged at All Saints Church in Staplehurst. RAF officers from No. 603 (City of Edinburgh) Squadron and representing the present Tornado squadrons attended, but did not expect a large congregation nearly 60 years after the Battle of Britain. When they arrived, they found to their astonishment that the church was full to overflowing with local residents-some were standing outside. Whoever the unknown airman was and whatever he did, they wanted to remember the man whom they believed had died to safeguard their freedoms, who had died for them.

Told by James, Lord Selkirk of Douglas, to the House of Lords 10th November 2011

Comments 

 
0 #3 Jim Renwick 2014-07-01 17:14
Jean a dear friend who will be sadly missed by Family and Friends ,and all who served in 603 City of Edinburgh Squadron, and all

RAF Family.
May you rest in Peace, a very special Lady
Quote
 
 
0 #2 jeannette kilinc 2014-04-18 10:59
I would like to inform all those that read this story that my mother Jean Liddicoat passed away peacefully in her sleep on Wednesday 16 April 2014. We all loved the way she worked so hard to bring about such a wonderful response to her and my son's discovery of an unnamed RAF pilots grave in the graveyard at Staplehurst. She will be greatly missed she was an inspirational woman,mother and grandmother.
Quote
 
 
0 #1 Tam Rushmer Menzies 2012-12-19 02:43
Thank you for this wonderful story about my Great Uncle Freddie! I have just recently been interested in finding out about my family from Great Britain and couldn't have imagined that such a wonderful story would be discovered. I am very proud to be related to such a great man. Thanks again, Tammy from Kelowna B.C. Canada
Quote
 

Add comment


Security code
Refresh

Latest from icasualties.org

  • NYTimes- The Hardest (and Most Important) Job in Afghanistan
    arly one cold January morning on the high plains of eastern Afghanistan, Maj. Mohammad Qasim and a few of his officers gathered in the rundown barracks that serve as a district headquarters for the Afghan National Police in Baraki Barak. Qasim and his officers were the only government security available to the 100,000 people living in a district roughly twice the size of Manhattan, and about half of the district was now controlled by the Taliban. Kabul is just 40 miles away, but the Afghan National Army had not been to Baraki Barak in two years.
  • afghanistantimes- 5 NGO staffers kidnapped
    At least five workers of ‘Save the Children’, a non-governmental organization (NGO) were kidnapped by unknown armed men in southern Uruzgan province, said official on Tuesday. Pajhwok Afghan News Agency quoted Police chief of Trinkot city’s first district, Gul Agha, as saying that the NGO works were traveling to Surkhab district to monitor their project when they were kidnapped by the gunmen.
  • ToloNews- 48 Killed in Rescue Operation to Free Hazara Passengers
    At least 48 militants have been killed so far during the operation in southern Zabul province to rescue about 30 passengers abducted about two weeks ago on the Kabul-Kandahar highway, security sources said. Three commanders of the armed militants operating under Daesh group were also among the killed militants, said Gen. Abdul Hamid, commander of the Afghan National Army (ANA) 205th Atal Corps.
  • NBCNews- Afghan Forces Locked in Deadly Battle to Free Hostages
    Afghan soldiers were locked in a deadly battle to free dozens of hostages being held in the restive south of the country, officials told NBC News on Wednesday.
  • KP- 7 people killed, 7 injured in suicide attack in Helmand
    Seven people have been killed and seven others wounded in a suicide attack in southern Helmand province. Omar Zwak, spokesman for the governor of restive Helmand province confirms the incident. He said that the ones killed included five civilians and two soldiers.
  • afghanistantimes- 121 insurgents killed in nationwide offensives
    At least 121 militants were killed and one wounded within past 24 hours in the nationwide offensives launched against anti-state elements. In a press release issued here, Ministry of Interior (MoI) said that Afghan National Police (ANP) in collaboration with Afghan National Army (ANA) and National Directorate of Security (NDS) has launched joint operations against insurgents in different parts of Nangarhar, Takhar, Kunduz, Sar-e-Pul, Kandahar, Zabul, Uruzgan, Ghazni, Herat, Farah and Helmand provinces. In these operations 121 rebels including 23 foreign fighters were killed and one another injured.
  • AFP- Van bomb kills 9 in southern Afghanistan
    A Taliban suicide attacker driving an explosives-laden van carrying goats killed nine people including five civilians in southern Afghanistan on Tuesday, officials said. The attacker targeted a joint Afghan army and police base in the Sangin district of the volatile southern province of Helmand. “Nine people, including five civilians, two soldiers and two police were killed in the attack,” provincial spokesman Omar Zhwak told AFP.
  • csmonitor- Why Pakistan would welcome delayed US withdrawal from Afghanistan
    Pakistan's ambassador to Washington, Jalil Abbas Jilani, told reporters at a Monitor Breakfast Tuesday that the country has seen heightened militant activity along its border as US troops have drawn down in eastern Afghanistan.
  • Newsweek- Afghan War Is Over, but U.S. Drone Strikes Continue
    On December 28, 2014, the U.S. government said that the war in Afghanistan was officially over. But the conflict persists today, as U.S special forces and drones continue to hunt down members of the Afghan Taliban.

British military casualties - Editorial policy

In the service of our country.

Eulogies for all personnel killed on UK operations in Afghanistan, Iraq and elsewhere are posted as soon as they have been released by the UK Ministry of Defence. Each eulogy we publish for men down in operations brings a lump to the throat. We are losing the best of the best. Politicians must ensure that, when the newspaper cuttings have faded, their sacrifice has had some meaning, has helped bring about a good result. Anything else would be a waste for which they will be eternally condemned.

There is invariably at least a 24 hour gap between the official release of news of an event and the naming of the dead. This is to allow families to be informed and proper eulogoies to be produced. Occasionally families request no euologies or comment. We abide by guidance we receive on such sensitive matters. We regret that information on those who sacrifice almost as much through grave injury is seldom released by the MoD for operational reasons, and so we are unable to pay tribute.

 

Cookies
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the Defence Viewpoints website. However, if you would like to, you can modify your browser so that it notifies you when cookies are sent to it or you can refuse cookies altogether. You can also delete cookies that have already been set. You may wish to visit www.aboutcookies.org which contains comprehensive information on how to do this on a wide variety of desktop browsers. Please note that you will lose some features and functionality on this website if you choose to disable cookies. For example, you may not be able to link into our Twitter feed, which gives up to the minute perspectives on defence and security matters.