Thursday, 23 November 2017
logo
Up-to-the-minute perspectives on defence, security and peace
issues from and for policy makers and opinion leaders.
        



dv-header-dday
     |      View our Twitter page at twitter.com/defenceredbox     |     

inmemoriam

Corporal Barry Dempsey

The Ministry of Defence has confirmed today that Corporal Barry Dempsey, a medic from the Royal Highland Fusiliers, 2nd Battalion the Royal Regiment of Scotland, attached to 1st Battalion the Royal Irish Regiment, was killed on patrol in Afghanistan on Monday 18 August 2008.

In a statement, the MoD offered tributes from comrades and senior officers. Lieutenant Colonel Nick Borton said that Cpl Dempsey "was a stalwart of the Medical Centre; a hard worker, he always volunteered for any task, and was always at the centre of the team, motivating and encouraging the younger medics." Lieutenant Colonel Ed Freely praised Cpl Dempsey's "great humility and character", whilst Defence Secretary Des Browne said that Cpl Dempsey was a "selfless and brave professional".

---
Signaller Wayne Bland

On 11th August, the Ministry of Defence announced the death in Afghanistan of a soldier from 16 Signal Regiment Motor Transport Troop, named on 14th August as Signaller Wayne Bland. Sig. Bland died whilst on patrol in Kabul as a result of a suicide attack upon the vehicle he was travelling in.

In a statement, the MoD presented tributes from comrades and senior officers who served with Sig. Bland in Operation Herrick ("popular and capable", "a leader amongst his peers"), and from the Secretary of State for Defence Des Browne ("a model British soldier").

The full statement can be viewed at the Ministry of Defence website.

------------

Not just for those who have sadly lost their lives in service. Good news from the MoD that they are double compensation for troops injured and disabled in combat.

Add comment


Security code
Refresh

Latest from icasualties.org

  • pajhwok- 55 rebels killed 10 injured in Kandahar operations
    Fifty-five insurgents have been killed and 10 others injured in security forces joint operations in the Maiwand and Zherai districts of southern Kandahar province, an official said on Tuesday. Police spokesman Zia Durrani told Pajhwok Afghan News 30 insurgents were killed and some injured in Monday operations by army, police and public order police in the Kala Shamer and Jagroom areas.
  • KP- Key Taliban commander among 8 killed in Logar operations
    A key commander of the Taliban group was among at least eight militants killed during the operations of the Afghan security forces in central Logar province of Afghanistan. The provincial government media office in a statement said the militants were killed in an area located between Baraki Barak and Tangi Wardak area.
  • VOA- Pakistan Welcomes US Offer to Prevent Militant Raids from Afghanistan
    Pakistan is welcoming a U.S. military offer to take action against militants involved in cross-border raids against Pakistan from Afghan soil. Pakistani officials say the move "augurs well" for regional counterterrorism cooperation.
  • ToloNews- US Forces Almost Triple Air Strikes On Insurgent Strongholds
    New statistics show that the US Air Force has almost tripled the number of bombs dropped on bases belonging to insurgent groups in Afghanistan so far this year compared to the whole of last year. According to the figures, the US military dropped 3,554 bombs against strongholds belonging to Taliban and Daesh insurgents in the country as of October 31 – compared to about 1,337 bombs last year. In 2015, only 947 bombs were dropped.
  • WaPo- Afghan leaders in Helmand criticize U.S. airstrikes on Taliban drug labs
    A newly announced campaign of U.S. and Afghan airstrikes against Taliban-run narcotic centers was met with alarm and criticism Tuesday from political leaders in Helmand province — the heart of Afghanistan’s huge opium trade — where officials said 10 such air attacks were carried out in the past week.

British military casualties - Editorial policy

In the service of our country.

Eulogies for all personnel killed on UK operations in Afghanistan, Iraq and elsewhere are posted as soon as they have been released by the UK Ministry of Defence. Each eulogy we publish for men down in operations brings a lump to the throat. We are losing the best of the best. Politicians must ensure that, when the newspaper cuttings have faded, their sacrifice has had some meaning, has helped bring about a good result. Anything else would be a waste for which they will be eternally condemned.

There is invariably at least a 24 hour gap between the official release of news of an event and the naming of the dead. This is to allow families to be informed and proper eulogoies to be produced. Occasionally families request no euologies or comment. We abide by guidance we receive on such sensitive matters. We regret that information on those who sacrifice almost as much through grave injury is seldom released by the MoD for operational reasons, and so we are unable to pay tribute.

 

Cookies
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the Defence Viewpoints website. However, if you would like to, you can modify your browser so that it notifies you when cookies are sent to it or you can refuse cookies altogether. You can also delete cookies that have already been set. You may wish to visit www.aboutcookies.org which contains comprehensive information on how to do this on a wide variety of desktop browsers. Please note that you will lose some features and functionality on this website if you choose to disable cookies. For example, you may not be able to link into our Twitter feed, which gives up to the minute perspectives on defence and security matters.